Saturday, May 26, 2012

City Birds


A seagull on the railing
And a pigeon on the ground
Were surveying their surroundings
And were pleased at what they found.

“I have the better life,” thought gull,
“For here, along the river,
I have a view and all the food
The river can deliver.

Poor pigeon has to scrounge and peck.
He’s on the grubby streets.
He has to dodge the moving feet
Of everyone he meets.”

The pigeon, on the other hand,
Was thinking as he strutted.
If he had heard the seagull’s thoughts,
He’d likely have rebutted.

“I love my urban habitat.
My world is rich with choice.
On sidewalks, statues or in parks
I burble and rejoice.

There’s plenty here for me to eat.
I’ve got a million friends.
With all the teeming humans,
People-watching never ends.

The seagull, sadly, must rely
On waterways for food.
His meals are raw, while I indulge
In morsels barbecued.”

The pigeon cooed and bopped his head;
The gull took to the sky,
Each convinced that his existence
Made him quite a lucky guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment