Sunday, January 29, 2012

Thug Music

I love rock & roll and folk,
Classical and jazz.
Music offers everyone
The attributes it has.

Sometimes I like Zydeco
And even Irish pipes.
Country isn’t quite my thing;
For opera, I’ve got gripes.

My daughter loves all music, though,
But I can’t understand
How she’ll groove along to oldies
Or the Beatles on one hand

Then she’ll turn the radio to hear
Some hip-hop or some rap.
I listen to the lyrics
And to me, it sounds like crap.

When I tell her that the singers
Seem to me like lowlife thugs,
She laughs and sings along
And as I shake my head, she shrugs.

I guess it’s generational
But I am pretty sure
That no matter what my age,
That music I would not endure.

When we are in the car, though,
And a thuggy song is played,
I cringe but tolerate my daughter’s
Hip-hop hit parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment