Friday, January 20, 2012

Submissive

Before Rick Perry left the race,
They interviewed some fans.
One woman said a vote for him
Was surely in her plans.

The journalist asked why and so
She went on to explain.
She thought Rick Perry’s love of God
Embellished his campaign.

That answer didn’t shock me;
Pious folks want him elected.
Her second reason, though, was not
At all what I expected.

She said, “I like Rick Perry’s wife
Because she’s so submissive.”
Those words were so amazing
My reaction was dismissive.

But then I thought about it and
I reached this sad conclusion:
Equality for women’s still
An out-of-reach illusion.

For there are women, young and old,
Who feel it is their place
To be subservient to men,
Which I find a disgrace.

We’ve come so far and fought so hard
Yet there are those still stuck
With values long-rejected by
Most females filled with pluck.

I’m glad Rick Perry’s given up
And stepped out of the fight.
Unfortunately, he’s got clones
Just waiting on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment