Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pink Slippers

I knew a little boy
A very long, long time ago.
He wanted slippers that were pink
And sadly, I said no.

So many years have passed
And now a briefcase he did need.
I’d buy whatever he picked out –
On this, we both agreed.

He choice was rugged leather
In a rich deep shade of brown.
He’d looked at more expensive ones,
But kept the outlay down.

It made me think back to that time
When I said no to pink.
I wish I hadn’t, but it made no difference,
I don’t think.

I guess as we grow up,
We’re shaped by many different voices;
And there are times when those we love
May veto our first choices.

Yet we become who we must be
Despite well-meaning blunders;
And when a bond survives and thrives,
It’s one of life’s great wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment