Friday, January 26, 2024

My Mother

My mother didn’t cook too well

And neither did she bake.

If you’d assume she loved to clean,

That would be a mistake.


She didn’t drive, she didn’t work

But she was always there.

If comfort was required, well,

She had the time to spare.  


If something needed fixing,

She’s the one who’d man the tools

And raising us, it’s she who made us

Follow all the rules.


She was athletic, playing tennis

When she had the chance

And at a party, she would be

The first to start to dance.


She loved her games and puzzles,

Playing mah jongg every week

And did crosswords in the paper,

With an always-finish streak.


My mom’s been gone for years, yet on

Her birthday I recall 

That, despite her flaws, without her

I would not be here at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment