Sunday, November 27, 2022

The Chuppah

A chuppah is a canopy

Beneath which couples wed.

It could be made of cloth, a shawl

Or flower boughs instead.

 

Tradition called for chuppahs

To be held up, using poles,

With relatives or friends assigned

The chuppah-holding roles.

 

When I got married, years ago,

But on this very date,

My brothers, cousin and my husband’s

Brother filled the slate.

 

The cloth was velvet with the star

Of David center-placed.

We stood beneath it, said our vows,

Sipped wine and then embraced.

 

I don’t know whence the chuppah came -

Perhaps the rabbi’s stash –

But it’s a symbol I recall

Just like the glass’s smash.*

 

Our wedding was a small one

But the chuppah played its part

To ensure our matrimony

Had a customary start.

 

*In Jewish weddings, the groom stomps

on a cloth-covered glass right after the

ceremony.

No comments:

Post a Comment