Friday, January 8, 2021

When Life Gives You Lemons

 A neighbor got a lovely gift

Of lemons, but too much

For her to use, so, neighborly,

She chose to get in touch.


She emailed with an offer 

That her bounty she would share

Since even after using some,

She still had lots to spare.


I told her I would take a few 

And thanked her, just to find

She’d left an overflowing bag,

By my front door, behind.


With way too many, I did try

To send a big bunch back

But she declined, quite sure I’d use

Each lemon in the sack.


A recipe for lemon cookies,

Using juice and zest,

Appealed to me; I made a batch

But truth be told, at best


They were so mediocre

They were barely fit to eat,

Not lemony enough and yet

Too far from being sweet.


You might suspect this failure 

Left me saddened and dismayed

But I’ll follow that old saying

And just make some lemonade!

No comments:

Post a Comment