Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Not a Walk in the Park

I got together with a friend

I haven’t seen in ages.

We met in Central Park, a spot

That certainly engages.

 

The flowers were in gorgeous bloom,

The gardens lush and tended

And everyone wore masks,

As Dr. Fauci recommended.

 

We strolled the grounds while catching up

Then found a bench for sitting

While birds and bees flew by

And even butterflies were flitting.

 

Yet there were also chipmunks

And some squirrels all a’scurry.

I even saw a mouse or two

Which didn’t make me worry.

 

Until from underneath a hedge

A big fat rat did scuttle,

To which my “Ew!” reaction

Wasn’t what you might call subtle.

 

It’s really most unfortunate

That this unpleasant sighting

Removed some pleasure from a day

In which I was delighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment