Sunday, August 9, 2020

Shrinking

I “talk” to people on the web
From countries far away,
A few I’ve been to, others that
I’d hoped to see one day.

By telephone or FaceTime
I connect with those I know,
Some frequently enough I’m up
On all their ebb and flow.

Despite all that, the world that I
Inhabit has begun
To shrink a little more each day;
My travel days are done.

The prison I’ve created,
Though much better than a cell,
Is the confines of my home,
The rooms of which I know so well.

My neighborhood provides me
With some peaceful walking streets
And a bench besides the river
Gives me afternoon retreats.

Once a week I’m granted freedom;
To the suburbs we do drive,
Spending time with kids and grandkids
To remind me I’m alive.

Other people are expanding
In the things they choose to do
But I’m stuck without the tools I need
To help me break on through.


1 comment:

  1. ah....but you've got verse! just think of the time you'd have with no rhyme....

    ReplyDelete