Monday, March 23, 2020

A Deck of Cards

I’m sheltering-in-place all day
And need more things to do
For there are many hours
Once my morning walk is through.

I’m reading books and magazines
And, too, The New York Times
And obviously, I still get
To write my daily rhymes.

There’s music on and thankfully,
Some good shows on TV
And working on my quilting is
Enjoyable to me.

But suddenly I had a thought –
I’d play some Solitaire!
I knew I had a deck of cards;
The question, though, was – where?

I could play on a screen, of course,
Yet I’d prefer to deal
With cards that I could hold, like books,
Which tactilely appeal.

I searched all over; then I found,
The last place I did check,
Wrapped tightly still in cellophane,
A brand-new untouched deck.

It bore an airline logo –
Once a gratis flying perk –
And after years of waiting,
I will put those cards to work.

With all this time to fill up,
Drawers and closets may reveal
So many random things our stuff
Has managed to conceal.

No comments:

Post a Comment