Sunday, March 4, 2018

Home Movies

The birthday party, a surprise,
Had lots of things to tantalize –
A lovely house, delicious food,
A friendly host to set the mood…

Some dialogue with friends and kin,
The birthday gal’s elated grin
When, from the car, she looked about
As all of us let out a shout.

My favorite part, though, was to see,
Transcribed to view on a TV,
Home movies of the honored guest,
The past revived at our behest.

Most partygoers knew her then
And lived those mem'ries once again
But we don’t go back quite as far
So watching really raised the bar:

An eighth grade trip, a P.J. bash,
A backyard pool, with hose and splash,
The senior prom (and she the queen!),
A high school graduation scene.

To see my friend so very young
Gave background to the praises sung
And piled so high upon her plate
By all who came to celebrate.

As pals and family reminisced,
I saw a bit of what I’d missed
But I was thrilled to recognize
My younger friend, a sweet surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment