Friday, December 15, 2017

The Doll House

It sat there on the bookstore shelf
And called attention to itself;
With stairs and lights and rooms to fill,
I thought that joy it would instill.

I schlepped it home and wrapped it tight,
Anticipating sheer delight
When both the grandkids got their gift;
How it would give my heart a lift!

The paper ripped, the house unpacked,
Assembled with our wits intact,
I waited for the eyes to light
But never counted on a fight.

For each one thought that he did know
Where every item ought to go
And naturally, their views diverged
While tempers flared and shrieking surged.

At last, to combat noise pollution,
We arrived at a solution –
Separate times for each to play
To keep the rivalry at bay.

But hours later, there’s a truce;
The reason why, I can’t deduce.
I’m watching them attempt to share;
To intervene, I wouldn’t dare!

No comments:

Post a Comment