Saturday, April 8, 2017

Modern Day Weed

I haven’t toked in many years
And though it’s just as well,
In Amsterdam three years ago,
My nose picked up that smell.

I breathed in deep and reminisced
About my younger days,
Those weekend nights engulfed in such
A mellow stoned-out haze.

These days in New York City, though,
A scent pervades the air.
It’s weed, I’m told, but to the old stuff
It does not compare.

In fact, its noxious odor
Comes the closest to a skunk.
I wonder if imbibers
Are aware they stink, stank, stunk!

When we partook so long ago,
The ways that one could tell
Were our beatific faces
And our cravings – not our smell!

4 comments:

  1. nowadays there are strains that are described like fine wines: a nose of lemon or orange, garlicky, lilacs, and yes, skunky. and: today's is probably 100% stronger than what was considered stronger 'in the day'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! i'm not surprised to hear that, but the pot i smell on the street smells awful!

      Delete
  2. Dear Ilene, So happy to find you here. I saw your name on Facebook and wrote immediately. That turned out to be your brother's FB page and he kindly wrote back and sent me here to find you. How wonderful to see you after so many years and to discover you writing poetry and better still a poem about weed and to see Burt's sophisticated palette in responding. I am so curious about where life has taken you and how you ended up here. I hope you will want to share that with me. I can be written to most easily at jturek@antioch.edu You would remember me as Joy Levine from PS 208. Yikes!
    Much love to you, Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joy - i am just reading this now (my brother never mentioned hearing from you and i guess i don't check my comments page too often) and i am blown away by hearing from you! i'll write to your email...

      Delete