Sunday, April 3, 2016

Birthdays Away

Each year, if I can help it,
On my birthday I'm away
In a place I've never been before
To celebrate the day.

So today I am in Asheville,
A delightful mountain town,
Filled with arts and crafts and sunshine -
Not a place to sport a frown.

Spent the morning at the Biltmore,
A magnificent estate,
Where the gardens were in bloom,
Which I did not anticipate.

Had an ice cream lunch and wandered
Through some galleries and stores
Stocked with furniture and earrings.
(Beats my back home daily chores!)

Wrapped the day up with a dinner
More delicious than could be
With a candle as reminder
That this day was meant for me.

Plus, I got my birthday greetings
From my children and the grands
And my husband's here beside me,
Which the perfect day demands.

My spring chicken days have vanished
As more wrinkles do appear;
Still, I hope that I can celebrate
Some other place next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment