Saturday, September 5, 2015

Manning the Grill

My husband used to barbecue
But then his interest waned.
My taste for burgers and the like,
However, has remained.

I bought a brand-new charcoal grill
Because I missed that food
But my desire to man the thing
I slightly misconstrued.

So mostly it just sits there,
Filled with spider webs and dust
But today at last I got the urge
For burgers, dogs or bust!

I piled the charcoals, spritzed the fuel
And struck a sturdy match
Then crossed my fingers, hoping that
My little pile would catch.

Voila, it worked! So carefully,
I laid the burgers down
And patiently kept tending them
'Til each was glist'ning brown.  

I lost myself within the groove,
Relaxed and sipped my beer,
Enjoying this belated stab
At barbecue this year.

And as we ate our dinner,
I admit I felt a thrill
Knowing that I finally got the hang
Of how to man the grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment