Saturday, April 11, 2015

Tumbleweed

Driving in the city,
I'm used to many things -
Crazy cabbies, honking horns,
Pigeons spreading wings.

Inattentive texters, 
Speeding messengers on bikes,
Nannies pushing strollers filled
With bored or wailing tykes.

Buses not in service,
Doormen whistles blowing,
Drivers who have no idea
Which way they should be going.

But one thing I have never seen
Until my current trip
Is tumbleweed go tumbling by -
It really made me flip.

Like a bunch of dancing hay clumps,
All this tumbleweed bounced by.
As it somersaulted on,
You couldn't miss it if you'd try.

It looked comical yet scary,
Almost alien to me,
Not at all like on the westerns
That I once watched on TV.

For a city gal, I'll tell you,
This was special, that is true,
But I hope I never see it
Roll down Second Avenue!

No comments:

Post a Comment