Thursday, April 2, 2015

Perfect After All

A glorious day in the playground,
My grandson by my side,
Seemed perfect but, in life, you know,
Perfection’s oft denied.

So walking home I noticed that
An earring’d disappeared,
A loss most likely permanent,
Or that was what I feared.

I twice went back, retraced my steps,
Looked under slides and swings
And tried to find the calm
Which resignation often brings.

Though days have passed, I thought I’d search
Just one more time in case
My missing earring would show up,
An ending I’d embrace.

So take a guess and you’ll be right –
 I found it on the ground,
Beside the slide and where a million
Footprints can be found.

It isn’t shiny so it was
A miracle for sure.
To toddlers, birds and squirrels
It had negative allure.

But looking back upon that day,
It felt just like a dream.
Perfection, after all,
Is more at hand than it may seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment