Friday, April 26, 2013

Uprooted


I used to rock my baby
‘Neath an overhanging tree
Which grew right by the river,
Just a block or two from me.

Its leafy boughs provided shade
To my most favorite bench,
A haven in the city
Where a new mom could entrench.

In recent years, those branches
Formed a bower where I’d rest,
To read or write a poem or two,
With breezes that caressed.

For more than thirty years, that tree
Has stood there like a friend.
I never ever thought I’d see
Its life abruptly end.

This morning, though, I passed that spot
And noticed too much sky.
The tree is gone, a fact my brain
Was dying to deny.

It isn’t worth it to protest;
The awful deed is done.
No more will strollers have a place
Of shelter from the sun.

But so much more than summer shade
This neighborhood has lost.
When roots are wrested from the ground,
To me, a line’s been crossed.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ilene,

    I saw this tied to the railing by Gracie Mansion. Great Poem. Was the tree at that location in the park? If not, why did you choose that spot to post the poem?

    Regards,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello mike! thank you so much for your comment. if you look over the railing at the spot where i posted the poem, you'll see the tree's stump. there were a few trees there and all have been recently chopped down. it made me very sad and that poem is my little protest. i appreciate your response very much...

      Delete