Saturday, September 8, 2012

Monet's Garden


I’ve been privileged ‘cause I’ve seen
The paintings of Monet.
One museum near my house
Has many on display.

The gardens of Monet provided
So much inspiration,
His palette came from Nature
More than his imagination.

I never knew how true that was
Until I paid a visit
To Monet’s garden, re-created,
Looking most exquisite.

The experts horticultural
Of New York’s main Botanical
Did such a bang-up job I’m sure
Their research was fanatical.

The water lily ponds are filled
With plants as flat as platters
And such purple-petaled flowers
Standing next to them just flatters.

There’s a copy of the famous bridge
From Monet’s house in France
And surrounding it, a swirl of blooms
The colors of romance.

A vacation to Giverny
Isn’t something I have planned,
But the New York imitation
Made me start to understand

That the genius of Monet was more
Than paintings that enchanted;
For the magic he created
Was inspired by what he planted.

(written after visiting The New York Botanical Garden’s exhibit)


No comments:

Post a Comment