Saturday, August 4, 2012

True

Most of what I write is true -
I get it from the news.
Open up the paper - there's so much
From which to choose.

Stories often catch my eye
Of lunatics and strangers;
Perverts on the subway,
Urban life and all its dangers.

Nature's wrath or criminals,
Heroes, athletes, singers;
Human interest tales of folks
Whose lives have been through wringers.

Other poems describe events
I've witnessed in my day.
Every small experience
Yields so much I can say.

All remaining writings
Are extracted from my head:
Memories and contemplations,
Joy and hope and dread.

Sometimes there's a limerick
That sneaks in for a smile.
After all, it's rhyming, which
Sits right within my style.

If you read a poem of mine,
And man, I hope you do,
You never really have to wonder -
Just assume it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment