Monday, April 30, 2012

Changing Gears


They stole my brand-new bike from where
I’d left it in the yard.
Since I was only eight years old,
I really took it hard.

I’d only had it for a week
But it fit all my needs –
The brakes were on the handlebars
And wow! It had three speeds!

It was metallic blue and oh,
The other kids would stare;
But one day when I came outside,
It simply wasn’t there.

We searched in vain on every street
Within the neighborhood.
We really thought it would show up,
But it was gone for good.

My parents didn’t have the funds
To purchase a replacement.
Instead, they found a clunker
Rusting in somebody’s basement.

My second bike was old and slow
And really not much fun.
The tires were fat, the rims were scuffed,
The count of speeds was one!

I’ve never owned another bike
But cars I’ve had a few;
And one thing I can tell you is
Each one was spanking new!

No comments:

Post a Comment