Friday, October 21, 2011

In the Card Store

I went into a card store
Just to buy a simple card,
But I never realized such a chore
Would turn out so damned hard!

There were many cards that played a tune
And some meant to be funny;
Yet none of them appealed to me
And all cost too much money!

Cards for Boss Day – what is that?
And lots for Halloween;
I’m sure there must be cards to honor
Each day in between.

I saw some cards congratulating
People for divorce,
And cards expressing sympathy –
For dogs and cats, of course!

There were lots of candles, calendars
And costumes by the crate;
Confetti, crowns, balloons and bows
To help you celebrate.

The only thing the store did lack –
It failed, in this regard –
Was a simple, touching, inexpensive
Plain old birthday card.

I spent close to an hour,
As necessity demanded,
But despite my best intentions
I departed empty-handed!

No comments:

Post a Comment