Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Senior

When I was a senior in high school,

The students below us all knew

That we were in charge and a challenge to that

Was, naturally, taboo.

 

It felt great to have climbed up that mountain

And our status was envied, although

At the end of the year we were freshmen again,

With four years of schooling to go.

 

When I was a senior in college,

The world that awaited was vast,

With travel and dating and jobs and the freedom

To follow our passions at last.

 

It was scary but also exciting

To dive into that tempting unknown,

Where exploring the places that beckoned

Helped us see all the ways we had grown.

 

Now I am a senior in living,

Whose age has me labeled and seen

Not as wise, but as past my importance;

All you “elderly” know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment