Friday, October 7, 2022

The Empty Feeder

The backyard feeder for the birds 

Brought squirrels who, for sure,

Believed that with some cast-off seeds

They certainly would score.


For months that worked for everyone

Until that fateful day

I looked outside to see

That squirrels can be local prey.


For right below the feeder,

A coyote stood his ground,

Then grabbed a fresh-killed squirrel 

‘Fore he vanished with a bound.


I haven’t filled the feeder since 

Nor ventured out to sit,

But it’s so lovely weather-wise,

I’m outside for a bit.


As soon as I sat down, three birds 

Came swooping in for seed,

But with some squirrels realized

I had not fulfilled their need.


It’s sad that one coyote

Stole the pleasure we have missed,

Yet both predators and prey, I guess,

Both need to coexist.


No comments:

Post a Comment