Tuesday, October 19, 2021

A Special Treat

When I was old enough, my mom

Would send me to the store,

Specifically, the bakery,

For treats I did adore.

 

But first, I had to ask them for

A rye bread they would slice,

With seeds, of course, or else

A pumpernickel would suffice.

 

And then some Linzer tarts for her,

Those filled with berry jam;

Then finally, the cakes

That made me happy as a clam.

 

Their name was Charlotte Russe,

A sponge cake in a cardboard sleeve,

With whipped cream and a cherry –

Just too perfect to believe!

 

They put them in a cardboard box

For me and my two bros

And tied it with a red-striped string,

As all of Brooklyn knows.

 

Today I wouldn’t like them –

Linzer tarts have more appeal –

But with a Charlotte Russe, back then,

How happy I would feel!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this one! ahhhh charlotte russes - glorious treats - one of them was always mine! - from a lost world....

    ReplyDelete