Thursday, September 16, 2021

On Henry's 8th Birthday

Today’s the day that Henry’s 8.

He’s growing fast; we’ll celebrate

And though I love each stretch and stride,

A little pang can’t be denied.

 

The baby in my arms I rocked

As lullabies my mind unlocked;

The pudgy toddler on my lap,

Preferring stories to a nap.

 

The music classes and the gym;

(Though climbing high was not for him.)

The times when we would say goodbye

And he would follow us and cry.

 

Before the tablet and the Switch,

Together times were sweet and rich.

To be with Henry, sharp and bright,

Was absolute and pure delight.

 

Of course, he’s still the greatest boy

Who brings me lots of deep-felt joy

But as the years add up, I see

There’s much less time and need for me.

 

It should be thus; I can’t complain

And our connection will remain.

Yet as I glimpse back to the past,

I feel like it’s gone by too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment