Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The Acrostic

The Sunday Times acrostic
Is a challenge I enjoy
But using what’s inside my brain
Is all that I’ll employ.

Which means, I will not Google
For the answer to a clue
Hoping somehow I’ll remember
It’s a fact that I once knew.

Who wrote “Peter and the Wolf” was on
The tip end of my tongue
Or the show where “Let Me Entertain You”
Is performed and sung.

I attempt to fill in letters
So the words will be revealed
And most often, with persistence,
Something in my mind will yield.

Which is why today, at 4 a.m.,
In anxious semi-sleep,
When solutions to those clues came,
Off the sofa I did leap.

And by filling in those spaces
The acrostic was complete,
Such a very welcome unrelated
Covid virus treat.

Now, of course, I’ve been awake since then
And it’s a long long day
But I’m grateful my anxiety
Was briefly kept at bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment