Thursday, August 10, 2017

My Cheering Days

A highlight of my grown-up life,
Before I was a mom or wife,
Was being one of those who cheered
On game days, when our teams appeared.

This was in high school, years ago.
The squad, unlike today’s, gone pro,
Was there to get the crowd enthused;
Exhilaration we effused.

Through megaphones we shouted out.
The crowd responded; we had clout.
So when we yelled, “Gimme a T!”
You best believe they did, with glee.

We practiced hard and stretched each limb
For many hours in the gym.
It was our church, or more, our temple
And our rabbi, Mrs. Stemple.

I wore that uniform with pride.
To me, it most exemplified
A feeling potent, deep and strong
That to this world, I did belong.

Tonight our squad will reunite;
This poem I likely will recite.
We’ll reminisce about our past
And hopefully, we’ll have a blast.

But looking back, what I know now
Is being on that squad, somehow
Was magical and did provide
Such joy, I still have some inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment