Saturday, May 13, 2017

The Icer

I needed a cake for a birthday;
I stopped at a fancy food store.
With Mothers’ Day coming tomorrow,
I lucked out with choices galore.

My daughter loves everything chocolate
And one seemed to really just pop –
A mousse-filled creation in layers,
But crowned with a satiny top.

When asked if the cake could, with icing,
Be personalized on the spot,
The counterman grinned with excitement;
I gathered he does this a lot.

With beautifully swirled dainty letters,
How deftly he piped every word,
But before he completed his artwork,
A happenstance strangely occurred.

He’d asked not a word ‘bout my daughter
But finished his icing design
With a musical staff and a clef note
When it’s music that makes her life shine.

How’d you know? was the best I could muster.
He just smiled as he tenderly placed
What he’d lovingly done in a cake box;
It’s just perfect, no matter the taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment