Monday, May 18, 2015

Henry at the Wheel

The carnival had rides galore –
A Ferris wheel, a carousel
And some that spun around real fast
While flying in the air, as well.

For little kids, there were the cars
That circled ‘round upon a track.
When I saw Henry at the wheel,
I sure was taken quite aback.

He’s 20 months and wants to be
In charge of all if he’s allowed.
Why, eating yogurt by himself
(With his own spoon!) sure made him proud.

His parents took him to the fair
And sat him with a little friend
Inside a race car where they both
Indulged and steered and played pretend.

A second ride was by himself
And that’s when I came strolling by,
Surprised and thrilled and nervous
And emotions which I might deny.

They grow up oh, so fast! I never
Realized all the ways I’d feel
When gazing at my grandson,
Not a baby now, behind the wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment