Friday, October 25, 2013

Picking a Pumpkin


When picking a pumpkin, I want one that’s round,
The fattest, most corpulent one to be found.
It needn’t be heavy or massive in size,
But shape is a place where I won’t compromise.

The color, of course, is important, as well.
It has to be orange - no washed-out pastel.
I’m sorry for specimens speckled with green;
They just do not make the cut for Halloween.

And lastly, before I discover my gem,
I search ‘til I find one with strong, curvy stem.
I’ll never select one that’s missing its handle –
(It comes in quite handy when planting the candle).

When I’ve found the one that fulfills all my needs,
I’ll scoop out the insides and toast up the seeds.
My husband will carve out a devilish grin
And our Jack ‘O will welcome the holiday in.

No comments:

Post a Comment