Wednesday, September 30, 2009

At the Dentist

Six months later – time again:
Have to check those teeth.
Pure bravado – make the call;
Fear is underneath.

X-rays easy, what a breeze!
‘Til the tools appear.
Mr. Thirsty hooks my mouth –
I hope I persevere.

Hygienist pokes and digs;
I close my eyes and suffer.
She thinks that some numbing gel
Will be sufficient buffer.

But it’s not – and so I try
To concentrate instead
On anything but where I am,
Enduring what I dread.

All right – I guess I could floss more,
But hey – it’s my decision!
So every six months I must face
Ms. Hygiene’s stark derision.

But finally, I rinse and spit;
She’s gotten all her kicks.
I’m told to come back in three months,
But I say – make it six!

2 comments:

  1. how hard is this to do?
    how do you pick the theme?
    is it forced or is it true?
    or disjointed like a dream?

    do you agonize or is it play
    to come up with a poem a day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's fun, it's play, it gets me high;
    and always, it's the truth.
    it's bubbling in my blood and brain -
    it's who i am - forsooth! (forgive me, willy s.)

    ReplyDelete